Friday, April 18, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

















This was the battle cry of my loving brothers as
they thrashed back and forth like drunken party guests inside my cardboard play house. I recall standing outside my corrugated domicile eyes wide with horror at the impending doom my blow up furniture was facing. It was so nice of them to play with me. I'm pretty sure that play house lasted 3 weeks.

fast forward 30 years

we were awakened at 4:30 this morning by a real earthquake. Oddly enough, not a regular occurrence around here considering we live on the largest fault in the US. It seemed to last for a very long time, perhaps due to our only being 38 miles from the epicenter. I know nothing of how these things work. All I know is that it rumbled long enough to awaken our entire household at an indecent hour. Most of us were able to sort of go back to sleep and the damage report upon waking, well, there isn't one. a few things wiggled around (the ironing board and my dresser) and one of Andy's Ramones figures fell over (but that happens if you slam the door).
So, all is well here and as far as I know downtown Evansville did not fall into the river (a common prediction in the "big one" senario). I'm sure it will be all anyone can talk about today.




P.S. Hello Dolly opened last night and was amazing just so ya'll know!

1 comment:

Summerset said...

Yikes. I know the feeling. I was living in LA when the Northridge earthquake happened.